Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fleur de Sel Caramels by Emily

I am - and always will be a fan of all things chocolate.  But when caramel is done right, there’s really nothing better.  I’m consistently disappointed with the caramel products readily available, whether it’s an impossibly chewy Milk Dud or a Sugar Daddy that’s hard as a rock.  I’ve tried homemade caramels before from little sweet shops, but I had never considered making my own until I stumbled across Mark Bitman’s recipe.  The result was perfectly chewy caramels with just enough salt to bring out the complex flavors of butter, cream and sugar.  
caramel7.jpg
{Maldon flakes of salt on top of smooth caramel}
{Make sure to swipe a spoonful of caramel from the bottom of the skillet after you’ve poured it into the pan.  You know, to speed up the cleaning process.}
{Cut 4×6 sheets of parchment paper for wrappers}
{A perfectly twisted caramel wrapper ready to be unfolded}

0 comments:

Post a Comment