Sunday, May 29, 2011

5 Ways to Be a Wise Teen

“For wisdom is better than rubies, and all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her.” Proverbs 8:11 (NKJV)

Imagine if you had the ability to know what to do in every situation you ever faced. From your dad’s temper and fights with your best friend to dating dilemmas and more, imagine having the knowledge to know what to do in every single instance without fail.

There is a way you can know one hundred percent how to handle each set of circumstances. Sound like a fantasy? It’s not. It’s called wisdom.

A few years ago I was chatting with my older friend Buck and I told him that a lot of people thought i was very wise. I still to this day don’t know how that came up in conversation but it did. He said that I should try reading Proverbs and it would make me even wiser. I said I would and I started that night.

I didn't really understand what I was reading but day after day,But I read. I began to notice that Solomon, the author of Proverbs, spoke on four topics frequently: wisdom, knowledge, understanding and discernment.

I began to pray that God would give me wisdom since it seemed to be a really big deal to Solomon. I've now been praying that same prayer for a long time.

Merriam-Webster.com defines wisdom as the “ability to discern inner qualities and relationships.” Having wisdom is to have insight and discernment on what to do in any given situation.

Where do you get wisdom? You can’t just walk into a fast food restaurant and say, “I’d like two chocolate milkshakes, a burger, and oh yeah, a side order of wisdom.”

How can you be a teenager full of wisdom in today’s society? I’ve found five simple steps for being a teenager filled with wisdom.

1. Confess. Regular confession keeps us in tune with God. Sin in our lives often blocks our interest in hearing God’s voice. Be quick to confess your sins and accept that God remembers them no more.

2. Stay humble. Acknowledge that God is Supreme Ruler of the universe. No one deserves more respect, praise or adoration than Him. Stay humble by being quick to give the glory in everything you do and say to God and God alone.

3. Ask for wisdom. The only true source of wisdom is God. Look at what James, an early Christian had to say about wisdom: “But if any man among you is without wisdom, let him make his request to God, who gives freely to all without an unkind word, and it will be given to him.” (James 1:5, Bible in Basic English)

4. Read Proverbs. Like Buck suggested.If you want to be wise, reading Proverbs daily is a must. The book of Proverbs written by Solomon contains many wise sayings that are relevant to our lives even today.

5. Have the right attitude. B.J. Hamrick, editor of RealTeenFaith.com says, “Being wise is really a matter of the heart. If the servant is like his master, knowing Jesus and drawing near to Him is what makes us wise.” Be Joyful even in the hard times Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."

Ultimately, wisdom is the result of a teenager that loves Jesus and seeks His will above all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment