Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"The Beauty in a Broken Heart"

http://frasesdavida.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sad-girl.jpg
“With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.” Psalm 119:10-11 (NKJV)


I was filled with guilt as I realized a decision I made recently, with the best of intentions, had actually caused more harm than good. Feeling frustrated and disappointed that I wasn’t measuring up to God’s standards, I came across today’s key verse.

Right away, I knew that the Lord had led me to this verse. Everyone makes mistakes; we’re human, and we’re going to disappoint one another and ourselves.

My biggest mistake was not focusing on God and His Truth.

When I fail to do that, too often I follow the sinful desires of my heart rather than patiently listen for and follow God’s instruction.

Are you struggling today to forgive yourself for the mistakes you make in your everyday life? Have you ever let a bad decision cause you to doubt the work God is doing in your life and believe you have no redeeming value in His eyes?

It is in these times when we are fully aware of our own human weakness and the ways in which we fall short of His glory. We know how much we need God’s Truth imprinted on and locked in our hearts.

I love the truth in the words to this worship song: “Lord I come to you, let my heart be changed and renewed, flowing from the grace that I've found in You, and Lord I've come to know, the weaknesses I see in me, will be stripped away, by the power of Your love.”

Will you join me today in purposing to put our faith in God’s promises instead of believing and letting those lies sink into our hearts? When I acknowledged my own sinful nature and opened my heart and life to God again, in that moment He showed up and changed my life all over again.

Let us see the Bible, not simply as words written in a book but as something meant to be lived. Today, when we spend time with our Savior, we can trust that the same God who speaks so wonderfully and clearly in the Bible speaks to us in our lives today.

Dear Lord, thank You for Your unchanging and constant Truth revealed to us in your Holy Word. Forgive me when I act selfishly and do not turn to You for help and direction. Lord, I ask You into my heart to renew and strengthen me. Please give me the wisdom and the courage to, not only read Your Word but to keep it in my heart and to live it each day. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
GO DEEPER:

Ponder: “He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, And purge them as gold and silver, That they may offer to the LORD an offering in righteousness.” Malachi 3:3 (NKJV)

Apply: Read Psalm 119 today and make a list of some of the amazing ways God's Word can help us every day.

Each time you sit down to read your Bible, ask God specifically to help you understand, process and apply what you're learning.

Read:
Teen Devotional Bible

Listen: “Power of Your Love” by Hillsong

Share: What is your favorite verse from Psalm 119?

0 comments:

Post a Comment